Show Off Your Makeup Skills This Halloween Season
If you love Halloween as much as us, we have the Halloween makeup tips and tricks you need to know. For many at Artisan School of Cosmetology, Halloween is one of our favorite holidays to show off our makeup skills. You can do a full glam look to dress as a Hollywood starlet or a fairy princess. Or, you can also have a ton of fun creating a horror character as well. You can really show off your makeup knowledge by skipping the mask and applying your own makeup. With just weeks until your party or trick or treating activities, here are tips and tricks to help prepare you.
Makeup Tips are a Treat
- Start with a clean face. Think about when to apply the makeup when getting ready. You don’t want to pull on a tight shirt over your freshly applied makeup.
- Clean your face before starting makeup. Applying Vaseline before your body makeup will help make removal easier and quicker
- If using prosthetics, apply with spirit gum, and allow it to fully dry before applying makeup.
- Make sure your makeup is set properly or risk sweat ruining your hard work.
Tricks to Perfect Your Halloween Look:
- Powdering hair and clothing adds the effect of age for zombies and ancient historical figures.
- You can create texture with makeup. Brushing with a makeup brush will offer a smooth look, whereas dappling with the brush or sponge can generate a more unusual appearance.
- For scars, apply a thin layer of latex then a piece of tissue. Repeat as needed. After a second layer of latex pull back a piece of it for the appearance of rotting skin.
- Make your own blood by mixing one part water to three parts corn syrup. Slowly add red food coloring for the perfect shade. For a richer, deep red add a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
- Color your eyelids with your pencil liner before adding eye shadow for a truly haunting and sunken look.
Stay Safe While applying Your Makeup and Prosthetics
- Perform a skin test with new products 48 hours before in case of reactions.
- Make sure all makeup items are approved for use on your face
- Do not apply makeup near open flames
- Avoid mixing types of makeup
- Do not use liquid latex near your eyes.
For more information on Halloween makeup and related topics, give Artisan School of Cosmetology, a call at (304) 834-3600. Follow us on Facebook for updates. We are happy to discuss more Halloween makeup tips and tricks.